People seek therapy for many reasons. Many come along with a specific problem (or problems) they want to focus on, whereas others seek out therapy for the purposes of self-exploration and personal growth.
I can offer psychological therapy for the following:
• Anxiety and anxiety disorders (panic, phobias, OCD, GAD, PTSD, social anxiety)
• Personality disorders
• Complex trauma
• Problems with harmful and risky behaviours (e.g. self-harm)
• Problems related to past abuse
• Binge eating and disordered eating
• Problems with anger
• Intrusive and unwanted thoughts
• Low self-esteem and low confidence
• Problems in relationships
• Problems related to sexual functioning or sexual interests (sometimes called “paraphilias”, “kinks” or “paraphilic disorders”)
• Stress reduction and management (including work related stress and burnout)
• Poor sleep and insomnia
• Bereavement and grief
• Adjustment following major life events and transitions (e.g. loss of job, developing a long-term illness, retirement, divorce, etc)
• Self-exploration to increase understanding of how early experiences might be influencing current patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving
This is not an exhaustive list, and there may be areas I can help with that aren’t noted above – these are just some of the problems typically brought to therapy by clients I’ve worked with over the years.
I have a particular interest in supporting people who feel “stuck” and like they’ve tried everything. Nothing is “too out there” (although if I don’t have the necessary skills and training to help I will be honest about that!) and I’m very passionate about my practice being welcoming and inclusive to all.
I draw from a wide range of psychological models and evidence-based therapies to tailor make an intervention best suited to the needs of each individual client. I have training and experience in: Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT); Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT); Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT); Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT); Mentalisation Based Therapy (MBT) and Motivational Interviewing (MI). I will be adding EMDR as a service in early 2021.
For more information about the practicalities of therapy with me please see my [FAQs]